Help me raise $2,900 by race day for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Help Find a Cure: Donate!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Anonymous Thanks

This has been a tough few weeks in regards to training. I realized the difficulty in training for a half marathon and fundraising for an amazing cause...life. I spent the last week looking for a new apartment, a new job, and attempting to successfully acquire my degree. Every time I hit a trail or the treadmill, my mind ran more than my feet. Will I find an apartment before my lease is up? Will I be happy with my career goals? Should I only do two miles instead of three so I can finish that assignment? And between each question, I obsess over making my fundraising goal...will I make my fundraising goal?

And then, something incredible happened, something so out of the ordinary, I felt more selfish than I have ever felt...


This past Tuesday, I offered up 5 hours of my day to volunteer at IHOP's National Free Pancake Day. Those enjoying free pancakes were asked to donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Although I smiled the first hour, I felt unnecessary in the whole ordeal. I was merely a Vanna White type, standing near a donation box while customers complained about the 45 minute wait. No one noticed me, and I thought of the homework assignments I should be working on instead of standing there. Then I heard it, in a quiet whisper...


"Thank you"


I turned to see an elderly woman, dressed in her finest attire, much too formal for IHOP.


"Thank you. I was just diagnosed with Lymphoma. I'm 56. Thank you for giving me hope."


She handed me a $20 bill for the donation bin and walked out of the restaurant. I never even learned her name, but I almost cried because of her selfless act and her short but touching story. My next mile was tough, as it should be, but I pushed through it, this time thinking of those people who are silently thanking the world for people helping, supporting, and simply thinking of them.


Thank you, anonymous woman. Thank you in every language possible. You inspire me to be strong. I'll think of you strongly throughout the next few months of training, and throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment